Asparagus - Connovers Colossal
Approximately 40 Seeds
A very tasty and much sought after vegetable. This variety produces a good crop of thick stems after a 3 years in the open ground. Steamed or grilled and then drizzled with butter and pepper these are one of lifes luxuries. An easy plant to grow and recommended to anyone.
- Sow as early as possible in the spring after soaking seeds overnight,
- 2-3 seeds per pot.
- You can sown thinly in standard trays.
- Optimum soil temperature for germination is 60-86 degrees.
- When large enough to handle thin to the strongest plant, or transplant seedlings.
- Select a well drained site with a sunny or partially shaded location.
- When 3-4 inches plant out in raised rows 3ft apart,
- 12-18 inches between plants.
- Plants should not be harvest until the second year and only lightly.
- Heavy cuttings are possible the third year.
- Mulch the rows in autumn to protect the plants
- and provide nutrients as these are heavy feeders