Liatris Spicata (Gayfeather)
Approximately 40 Seeds.
A stunning hardy perennial delivering excellent displays of showy tall plumes of fluffy purple flowers in summer. The foliage is attractive with Narrow, grassy leaves reaching up to 3 ft.
- The seed is best stratified prior to sowing unless sown directly outside in early winter.
- (This breaks the seeds dormancy)
- A period of 4-6 weeks in a standard fridge prior is sufficient.
- In addition nicking the seed case prior to sowing helps promote germination.
- If sown in trays, start from mid-winter onwards sowing on well-drained soil based medium at 4-5mm depth.
- Maximum germination is achieve by providing distinct fluctuations in temperature (55 to 70F)
- simulating day night temperatures outdoors.
- Germination should take 2-3 weeks for pre-stratified seed.
- plant out in a fully sunny location.
- A nutrient rich soil is best which does not get heavily waterlogg over-winter.