Approximately 8 Seeds
A great variety seen in many European markets which produces large oval shaped, slightly netted, 5lb fruits with orange beige rind and creamy white interior when mature. Referred to as a ‘Pineapple melon’ in Italy the vigorous disease resistant vines produce a heavy crop of extremely sweet, juicy and very aromatic fruits with compact cavities with no air space. Mature in 75-85 days.
- Sow April to May in pots of moist seed compost
- and cover with a 1cm (½inch) layer of compost or vermiculite.
- Ensure temperature is maintained at around 20C to aid germination.
- Keep the surface of the compost moist but not waterlogged;
- germination will usually take 7-10 days.
- When at the 2 leaf stage, transplant seedlings on into at least 10cm (4 inch) pots
- for a few weeks before potting on into larger containers or direct into the greenhouse border,
- or use 2 plants per growbag.
- Provide support for the plants to climb.
- Pinch out the tip of growth after 4 true leaves are produced,
- then train 4 lateral branches to the 6 leaf stage before again pinching out.
- Pollinate if necessary, by transferring pollen from the male flowers to the female blooms
- (with bump beneath the bloom).