Melon: Honeydew 🍈
Approximately 10 Seeds
Nothing like the bland varieties stocked in stores, the wonderful, vine-ripened flavour of this very sweet, juicy melon is almost wine-like. The 8′ x 7′ fruits weigh between 7 and 8 lbs. with a small seed cavity and have a light green flesh and exterior. Vine-ripened melons develop their full sugar content in the last few days. Pick by cutting the stem when skin tone warms or when the small leaf at the fruit yellows.
- Sow April to May in pots of moist seed compost
- cover with a 1cm (½inch) layer of compost or vermiculite.
- Ensure temperature is maintained at around 20C to aid germination.
- Keep the surface of the compost moist
- but not waterlogged;
- germination will usually take 7-10 days.
- When at the 2 leaf stage, transplant seedlings on into at least 10cm (4 inch) pots
- for a few weeks before potting on into larger containers or direct into the greenhouse border,
- or use 2 plants per growbag.
- Provide support for the plants to climb.
- Pinch out the tip of growth after 4 true leaves are produced,
- then train 4 lateral branches to the 6 leaf stage before again pinching out.
- Pollinate if necessary, by transferring pollen from the male flowers to the female blooms
- (with bump beneath the bloom).